Wednesday, July 7, 2010

WOOLWICH BIO-EN FUELS


This is a link to a report titled “Odour Study Report Woolwich Bio-En Anaerobic Digestion Facility, Elmira Ontario. I’ve read this report in its’ entirety and I am impressed. The building will be under negative pressure and all trucks will be unloaded indoors. These incoming trucks will all be covered and two other interesting aspects are the automated backup flare for burning off any excess biogas as well as the use of a biofilter to treat the air.
It is doubly unfortunate for the proponents that what appears to be a very sound idea, from so many different environmental aspects, is so terribly tainted from the get go. It is tainted by the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and it is also tainted by the authors of the report, namely Conestoga Rovers & Assoc. . Their name is not on the outside of their report but from the second page is on the bottom right hand corner throughout. I had hoped to read this report with an open mind but frankly the instant I saw CRA I was appalled. I have spent twenty years reading their client driven drivel on behalf of Uniroyal (Chemtura) until I can stomach no more. Am I biased. You bet I am. Do I acknowledge their technical competence? Absolutely! Chuck Martin what is the matter with you? You attended CPAC long enough, years ago to know better. Are you trying to provoke opposition?

I received a brochure in my mailbox today from the citizens’ committee . Although professionally done, clearly it is an emotional attempt to raise opposition to “BIO WASTE”. “STOP THE STINK” is very catchy. I do not live close to this proposal. Thank God! Perhaps for Chuck and colleagues the location makes excellent business sense. My opposition is based on two of the players as mentioned, and it’s based on the location. But for that I think it’s a wonderful idea and probably this generating facility is the wave of the future. Sat. July 10/10 the Woolwich Observer have a story on this flyer as does the Elmira Independent on Wed. July 14/10. Here is a link to the Observer story. Tomorrow Wed. July 14/10 I'll give the nod to the Independent.

No comments:

Post a Comment