Thursday, July 29, 2010

CPAC PREDICTION YOU READ IT HERE FIRST

For the last three months that I’ve been running this website I have very strongly focused on all things environmental, especially as relevant to Woolwich Township . Without any doubt I have been unable or unwilling to hide my contempt for the Ontario Ministry of the Environment . On occasion I have severely criticized the Region of Waterloo. On at least a couple of occasions I’ve made pointed references to two CPAC (Chemtura Public Advisory Committee) members.
Today I’m going a little further. Today I’m making a public prediction regarding an upcoming environmental/political announcement. I wish that it didn’t include the political scenario but unfortunately the two are intertwined. This prediction I have made privately to a couple of close friends and colleagues during the last six months plus. I have also shared with them (and 1 other) a couple of incidents which as is often the case only make sense in hindsight. These couple of incidents, and one in particular, will remain confidential for now and hopefully forever, dependant on the behaviour/desperation of others. I’ve been studying the facts for the last 2 ½ years, trying to understand the motives and behaviour of two individuals. I don’t claim to be the sharpest tool in the drawer, especially when it comes to human psychology. I’m also embarrassed to admit that I was naïve and that I was suckered.
First of all, here is the announcement .
CHEMTURA and CPAC JOINTLY ANNOUNCE A BREAKTHROUGH AGREEMENT !
This alleged breakthrough unfortunately will be no such thing. What it will be is an attempted public relations coup for Chemtura and a springboard into the Mayor’s chair for Pat McLean. The “breakthrough” will probably be along the lines of some kind of agreement on a long range cleanup plan. This CLERP (comprehensive long range plan) has been in the works and discussed since 2002. The company using a long litany of excuses (new owners/bankruptcy etc.) have basically piddled around for years.
Pat McLean has been pushing CPAC in the direction she’s wanted including sub committees and private meetings since the early 2000’s. She got my loyalty by agreeing to the July 2003 document “CPAC Request For Action”. This document was a request/demand for removal of on-site buried wastes including DNAPLs and was unanimously passed by CPAC. Again I was naïve thinking that wow, now that it’s been unanimously passed, we’re all on the same page and side. Fat chance. This document has withered and gone absolutely nowhere.
Pat correctly determined that Gerry Heideburt and Ron Ormson were solely interested in air issues at CPAC. Ron even advised me years ago that he wasn’t keen on removal of buried wastes. Pat also knew that the composition of the Soil & Water Sub- Committee wasn’t written in stone because of age and hearing difficulties with Fred and Henry. Both of these gentlemen were strongly in support of removal of on-site contamination. Chemtura was not. After Fred and Henry were no longer active at CPAC that just left yours truly. I didn’t even see the knife in the back coming. I especially didn’t see it coming from Susan Bryant whom I had long considered a colleague and a friend. Unfortunately there are people in this world who are more interested in a victory than in the actual results. In other words a pretend victory will do just fine. Pat McLean is and always has been a politician. Again the best results come a far second to the appearance of same. With me gone from CPAC and with all the new members coming (and going) , Pat and Susan knew that they could take CPAC into an agreement with Chemtura as long as they addressed air issues to keep Gerry and Ron on board. Meanwhile with me gone, soil and groundwater cleanup (especially DNAPLs) are finished. Pat with Susan’s and Chemtura’s help is ready to run for Mayor. Everybody’s happy and the environment gets it in the ear once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment