Thursday, December 5, 2019

COUNCILLOR MCMILLAN STEPS UP



I received an e-mail yesterday asking what time would suit me for a chat with Councillor Mcmillan. During the proposed time frame he indeed called. I have now received a couple more answers to my questions while some others remain unanswered. Councillor Redekop has not gotten back to me despite his e-mail from last Friday advising that he would. Whether he perhaps thinks that my interactions with Councillor Merlihan and McMillan exempts or excludes him, I really don't know. As a courtesy I do hope that he does call even though the fog has been significantly cleared due to yesterday's efforts by Councillor McMillan.

I have to say that Councillor Mcmillan continues to impress. He is persuasive without being brusque or rushed. He likes to talk but so do I so we both got our opinions, points and positions across to the other. He can hold to his position while still acknowledging the validity of your points and facts. He also is not afraid to not come to an agreement if he feels strongly that his position needs to prevail. As of last night he felt strongly that both staff and council must follow their current direction in regards to asbestos cement pipes in Elmira.

I have slept on this and thought about it further. While I continue to disagree strongly with Woolwich Township's position, I now understand it much better. It is not likely some bizarre conspiracy to slowly rot the minds and bodies of Elmira residents. It is not likely some payoff or kickbacks from the appropriately disparaged asbestos industry in order to continue to falsely bolster the safety of some of their products while grudgingly accepting the human health harm they have done with others. If I followed Councillor McMillan's reasoning accurately it is simply that both Township employees and councillors require clarity in their jobs. They are often beset by conflicting positions of constituents, neighbours, and or community groups. That requires the wisdom of a Solomon to navigate. However when it comes to direction from higher tiers of government they expect that to be straightforward and clear. They do not want the provincial or the federal government to be approaching municipalities such as Woolwich and saying "Well there are different opinions regarding asbestos in drinking water pipes and so do your thing.".

There is scientific evidence today that asbestos fibres in drinking water pipes are a health hazard above a certain concentration. I expect that just like lead, NDMA, cigarettes etc. that at some point asbestos may be recognized as a hazard at any concentration or exposure. What I both believe and understand is that Health Canada have been reluctant to date to categorically confirm that. A colleague of mine has referred to yesterday's Health Canada quote here in the Advocate as a "Flag". The quote was in regards to 1.5 million tonnes of asbestos being mined in Canada annually, principally in the province of Quebec. Health Canada also makes it clear that they know that asbestos cement pipe does slowly erode asbestos fibres into the water inside them.

So back to Woolwich staff and councillors. The councillors are part time. Some work full time, others are retired.The councillors at least, are not well paid.
Citizens and some councillors (not many) want to hold the line on tax increases. That is appropriate and credit should go in particular to Councillor Merlihan for his sincere efforts in that regard. Staff take direction from council as well as from the previously mentioned higher tiers of government. Staff are not doctors, medical researchers, water contaminant experts, toxicologists etc.. When Health Canada says a go slow policy of replacing asbestos pipes is O.K. then who are Woolwich staff to say otherwise? Similarly when our very own long discredited and long criticized Ontario Ministry of the Environment have not embraced the U.S. guidelines/criteria for asbestos in drinking water, then who are Woolwich staff to do otherwise?

I understand but I do not agree. I also hope that I have portrayed Councillor McMillan's words accurately. This is at best my understanding/interpretation of what he told me yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment