Thursday, January 19, 2017

WOOLWICH OBSERVER WHERE HAVE YOU GONE?



I'm trying to hold back my anger. Although I've gone through the Observer's on-line version twice so far I can not see any correction regarding their article in last week's edition titled "New hand on tiller to navigate Elmira's groundwater morass". Also I have not spoken yet this morning with the CPAC Chair, Dr. Dan Holt. As of yesterday afternoon he had advised me that he had not been contacted by Steve Kannon or anyone else from the Observer about his polite e-mail he sent them Tuesday requesting a correction in this week's Observer regarding out of context quotes of Dr. Richard Jackson's concerning the Township having "no expertise available to it". I have described that quote and the clarification sent to CPAC by Dr. Jackson both two days ago here in the Advoocate as well as earlier.

This of course is a golden opportunity for me to go off on the Woolwich Observer calling them hypocrites among other things. That would be counter productive for several reasons. First off they have done and continue to do good things overall for this community. They have long held our local councils accountable for their deeds and misdeeds. Having half their ownership on Council (Pat Merlihan) has concerned me although while Pat like all of us has feet of clay; again overall he has been a very positive addition to Woolwich Council. Secondly there are upcoming issues that require their calm and collected wisdom and reporting including the Jigs Hollow Gravel Pit as well as the imminent Crown decision regarding moving forward on Election Act charges against Councillor Scott Hahn or not. Thirdly despite taking Dr. Jackson's comments badly out of context they did step up and report on the past and current problems with the Elmira cleanup. This included the unlikelihood of achieving cleanup by 2028 and the necessity of Chemtura retaining Dr. Neil Thompson, an expert in groundwater remediation, "who will tell them what they need to hear, not what they want to hear...". Whether that was a direct shot at Chemtura's consultants CRA or even GHD I do not know.

A couple of times in the past I've received an e-mail from Joe Merlihan requesting a correction here in the Advocate. At least once it was a reasonable and accurate request as I was misinformed and had printed an inaccuracy. I made the correction. On one other request from him I also softened my comments afterwards although I thought his complaint was a little thin. Joe took it upon himself to advise me on the ethics of journalism and how corrections were a necessary part of the business. I agreed then and I agree now. Your turn Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment