Saturday, September 10, 2011

SOFT ENVIRONMENTALISM VERSUS HARD

Years ago I read the term "soft" environmentalism. Slowly over the years I've come to realize that it isn't a good distinction especially if it's used to denigrate any environmental activity. Today's Woolwich Observer has on page 12 Steve Kannon's "From the Editor" column. Steve is constantly surprising me from his economic to his environmental thoughts and positions. Today is no exception with his opinion page regarding paper bags, plastic bags and reuseable bags (cotton). The title of his piece is "Paper or plastic...or reuseable? Debating the merits". My first time going through I didn't even read it. It seemed so mundane and inconsequential. Then I read it. It is an excellent thought provoking article into an area that all of us are involved and can easily make a difference. Although plastic may be the worst environmentally and reuseable (cotton) the best, amazingly there are actually some issues with cotton and some legitimate benefits with plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment