Saturday, September 17, 2011

THE M.O.E. RESPONDS RE: VARNICOLOR CHEMICAL

As per my Thursday posting, two days ago, indeed Greta of the M.O.E. has responded in writing to my questions and comments about the old Varnicolor site on Union St. in Elmira. I have already replied by e-mail and copied the new CPAC members plus a couple of others. My e-mail response focused on Greta's suggestion that I go through the FOI (freedom of information) process to receive monitoring data. This I did not find particularily helpful and so advised her with specific reasons.

Three other points should be mentioned about her responses.
1) "...risk assessment may be necessary." I find that a wee bit stunning for a site that was supposed to be all cleaned up a decade ago.

2) "The ministry is currently reviewing an updated proposed work plan for this site." I also find that a wee bit stunning for a site that was supposed to be all cleaned up a decade ago.

3) "Not all sites can achieve full remediation but may undergo risk assessments, particularily if contaminants are coming onto a site from an off-site source." Oh my! Is the Ministry of the Environment suggesting that Elmira may have multiple polluters?
I forsee some pretty fancy stickhandling coming up here. Will this possible "risk assessment" be done in the public eye with public input?

No comments:

Post a Comment