Thursday, September 8, 2011

CPAC (Chemtura Public Advisory Committee) UPDATE

The next CPAC public meeting is three weeks today (ie. Thurs Sept.29/11). The next meeting, of any kind including further Orientation, at the moment is undetermined. The last public CPAC meeting was on July 25/11. I wrote many positive things about this meeting including praise for Chair (Mayor) Todd Cowan, here in the Advocate on Friday July 29/11. I wrote on July 29 that I felt CPAC had turned a corner and finally after months of sputtering were on track and building momentum. To be clear this sputtering was not due to the appointed membership but is the responsibilty of the Council and Mayor.

Since this building momentum precisely what has happened? In a nutshell, nothing. I personally, since the Municipal election last October have been on a roller coaster ride of emotions ranging from joy, elation and excitement to disappointment and disgust. On Friday August 12/11 here in the Advocate I published my response to the Ministry of the Environment (M.O.E.) who have denied my Application For Review of public consultation in Elmira regarding Chemtura. In it I clearly indicated my belief that our new Council is greener environmentally than preceding Councils. I also indicated that despite this , CPAC is completely controlled by the Mayor and Council and CPAC haven't any independence or even control of their own process such as meeting dates, Agendas or minutes. To date despite best efforts by numerous CPAC members to remedy this, they are being stonewalled. They are being ignored. They are being given the mushroom treatment. They are being treated shamefully by the Chair, Mayor Cowan.

I do not understand how the Mayor could appoint such a talented and enthusiastic group of people (including myself last April) and then leave them all in limbo. What possible interpretation for neverending delay can there be? The Mayor recruited them (and I). He came to us and asked us to volunteer our time and talents to a worthy cause. He and Council are now undermining and demoralizing their own appointees. PLEASE EXPLAIN YOURSELF MAYOR COWAN. Faith only goes so far before reality takes over.

No comments:

Post a Comment