Wednesday, April 20, 2011

IT IS AT LAST OFFICIAL: NAMING OF THE NEW CPAC MEMBERS

Yesterday's Advocate named six persons as new members of CPAC. Add one name to that list being Lynn Hare. I had the pleasure of seeing her in action last night at Woolwich Council, as she spoke in regards to missing or incomplete research about the proposed Jigs Hollow Pit between Winterbourne and Conestogo. Therefore to make it official:
Yours truly Alan Marshall
Julie-Anne Herteis Councillor & Chair
Vivienne Delaney
David Marks
Dan Holt
Ron Campbell
Lynn Hare


Speaking as an individual CPAC member only, let me tell you how excited I am by the unfolding events. After twenty years of being on the UPAC/CPAC merry go round, I see today as a brand new start. This may well be our last kick at the can to actually accomplish a real cleanup in Elmira.

In regards to the old CPAC members who have been involved for a long time I can only advise you that life is strange. Some of you may sincerely have believed that hydraulic containment was a real solution. I attempted to persuade you otherwise; unlike you however I made no attempt to kick you off of CPAC for having a different opinion than I. Eight years ago honest debate on source removal resulted in a unanimous CPAC decision of July 2003 endorsing source removal of Dioxins and DNAPLS. Four years ago 3 1/2 members of CPAC met with world renowned DNAPL experts at the University of Waterloo. As by far the most knowledgeable citizen at CPAC about DNAPLS I was one of the attendees. The unanimous opinion that DNAPL removal was both necessary and proper was never brought back to the CPAC table by anyone but me. The other three flatly refused to discuss, comment or even put it on the CPAC Agenda.

I am optimistic and confident that this CPAC will be more open, transparent and accountable. I have confidence in Councillor Herteis's common sense, motivation and belief that this committee of Council is both accountable to Council as well as ultimately the citizens of Woolwich.

Our CPAC will work better with public participation. We will be having evening meetings to enhance the public's attendance. Everyone is welcome. Bring your questions and comments. This CPAC will respond to everyone's input. Whether we agree or disagree, you will have our attention and our respect and our response.

No comments:

Post a Comment