Friday, October 1, 2010

MORE BIOGAS NEWS

An excellent article in Wednesday's Elmira Independent titled "Proposed biogas plant "is not a dump" ". This article does what it should in that it gives both sides and both opinions on this local environmental issue. Chuck Martin, one of the proponents spoke at the Woolwich Memorial Centre last Wednesday and gave his opinions and facts on the proposal. In response were Michael Purves-Smith, Jerry Heideburt and others. Most interesting to me was the previous page in the newspaper (pg.5), namely the Opinion page . Here Gail Martin ,editor, gave her opinion "The sky is not falling". Gail while acknowledging the legitimacy of residents concerns regarding odours and while also expressing her concerns around traffic issues, has clearly indicated her opinion, that based on the facts she has seen and heard, that odours will not be a problem. I have considerable respect for Gail's opinions and herself personally. Nevertheless I must still lean to the contrary here. Yes, I too have recently received information on another operating biogas plant in Ontario, which apparently does not have odour issues or problems. For me it is the sum of the whole, and I'm personally tired of Elmira constantly being on the receiving end of allegedly green businesses (recycling/chemical etc.) whose downside is borne on the backs of the residents.

1 comment:

  1. O.K. I just got back home and there was a message from Chuck Martin on my machine in response to my call to him yesterday trying to confirm that Brussels was the location of a Biogas plant. My wife has family in Brussels and they had no knowledge of a Biogas plant which either meant there were no issues or odours or the location was incorrect. Chuck cleared this up by advising that the plant although near Brussels is actually between Newton and Donegal. Thanks Chuck!

    ReplyDelete