Thursday, April 21, 2022

PHEW - NOT THIS TIME: TWO EXPLOSIONS ON GEORGE ST. LAST EVENING

Initially I thought that my worst fears had happened. I received a phone call and over the phone I could hear sirens and I believe a small explosion. The caller was advising me that there had already been a louder explosion in the vicinity of George St. in Elmira. This street is located extremely close to the former Bolender Park Landfill and as I have just recently read updated (2021) gas probe results I thought that it was a methane explosion. Shortly afterwards I was advised that it was an explosion and fire from a garage behind a home on George St. The garage contained both a car and a lawn mower with of course likely gasoline present as well. At this point in time I trust that there were no injuries and that damages were minimized by the fire department as much as humanly possible. ...................................................................................................... I am awaiting information regarding updated methane gas controls on the site that had been suggested to the former owner by Woolwich Township. If indeed the removal of the long inadequate methane gas pumping system was premature as the recent gas results indicate then clearly a new system is required. Why was that not front and centre at the Public Meeting held by Woolwich Council recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment