Saturday, May 3, 2014

CHEMTURA (ELMIRA) TO ME : "...please confirm that you received this e-mail."



You know if I didn't see the humour in things I would have thrown in the towel decades ago. The request for confirmation of receipt of an e-mail came late yesterday afternoon from Jeff Merriman of Chemtura Canada (Elmira). That was one week after I posted here on April 25/14 (*Responsible Care Ethics & Chemtura Canada) that Jeff had not responded to my e-mail of early February. What is becoming clearer and clearer to me over the last twenty-five years is that Elmira management of this multinational conglomerate are simply the tail on the dog. Waterbury Connecticut, the corporate headquarters, are and always have been doing the wagging. Therefore as corporate headquarters are on this site five days out of five let me address my confirmation to you. Yes Jeff followed orders and responded to my February 3/14 e-mail yesterday. Thank you very much for turning the screws on him. If you are so inclined feel free to also turn the screws on Chemtura Canada's ridiculously client driven consultants, Conestoga Rovers. Their acting skills are top notch including fake outrage when required but their creative hydrogeology is over the top. Also the number of ongoing typos and errors in their reports are an embarassment. Aside from the ones I mentioned in my February 3/14 e-mail there are more in their 2013 Annual Monitoring Report Volume 1, Figures (subsurface Cross-Sections). If asked nicely I would be happy to point them out to you.

As a longtime stakeholder working and or living in Woolwich Township/Elmira since the mid 1980's, who has been intimately involved in groundwater issues and industrial pollution in Waterloo Region as well as in Elmira (Varnicolor & Uniroyal); I find the attitude of your local employees to be strange. While they are again tuning up for a verification by the Chemical Industry Association of Canada (CIAC) under the *Responsible Care banner; they are still playing games with public consultation. Approximately two years ago Jeff and co. actually advised CPAC that they hadn't responded to my allegations of free phase DNAPL behind Varnicolor (beside the Elmira water tower) because I wasn't a CPAC member at the time and CPAC hadn't demanded a response. Further games would include the very same "community rep" Pat Mclean who voted in favour of Chemtura's verification last time being directly responsible for my removal from CPAC in 2008. That she was travelling across North America at the time on expenses paid trips for the CIAC's *Responsible Care program was absolutely kept secret from CPAC members including myself. Imagine my surprise a couple of years later to learn that she was simultaneously working for two masters. Ostensibly on behalf of Woolwich Township as CPAC Chair and simultaneously on behalf of the chemical industry. The second one paid far better than the first.

Your local affiliate have stretched credibility and gamesmanship beyond all boundaries. More importantly they've been caught. Your Elmira ship is fast filling with polluted water and going down.

No comments:

Post a Comment