Monday, January 10, 2011

TELL ME IT ISN"T SO

Today's K-W Record carries another feel good story allegedly about an environmental success. I have no doubt that well intentioned and experienced reporter Kevin Swayze is reporting the facts as presented to him. At issue for me are the facts. The story I'm referring to is "Kanmet foundry site now green with new housing".

This is not the first contaminated industrial site that I've seen redeveloped for residential use. The old Sunar (Sunshine Mfg.) site in Waterloo was somewhat cleaned up for redevelopment as a Seniors residence. Similarily Chateau gardens in Elmira was built partially upon the old Gord's service Station in Elmira. Neither of these sites was fully or properly cleaned up in my opinion. This is based on further removal of soil and gasoline contaminated water this past summer during the road work at Church and Snyder Ave. in Elmira as well as my reading of the cleanup of the old Sunar site .

Further stories on industrial "cleanups" here in the Elmira Advocate can be accessed through the Archives for the following dates: Dec. 24/10, Oct. 28/10, and Sept. 15/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment