Wednesday, February 9, 2022

WOOLWICH COUNCIL MEETING FRONT PAGE NEWS IN THE K-W RECORD

I have to admit to being surprised by this story. Paige Desmond's front page story is titled "Council clashes over Woolwich budget" with a sub-title of "Councillors exchange barbs over Peel Street Bridge conversion, vote for 5.4 per cent tax hike". Woolwich Council consists of six members although one acts as Chair at each meeting. The overall initial impression I had was of a dysfunctional council which I have to admit made me chuckle because of my history with those twits. Lets see Councillors, Martin, Merlihan, Larry Shantz and Sandy Shantz were on Council when they tried to block Dr. Dan Holt and I from speaking at council about Chemtura and who also walked out on my Delegation, the incredibly stupid twits. As I recall neither Councillors McMillan nor Redekop were members of council at that time (2016 or 2017). Similarly the same foursome in 2015 also voted in favour of removing CPAC in exchange for a more company (Chemtura) friendly group based upon misrepresentations presented by Sandy Shantz and then councillor Mark Bauman. So no I have very little sympathy for them. ...................................................................................................... That said I reread the article. Hmm. It seems to me that there are some legitimate differences in opinion regarding spending on that council. I do not view that as a bad thing. In fact I'm more concerned when I see Woolwich Council appearing to be all in bed together on some issues almost as if they did most of their discussion and debate in private. It is my opinion that too much of that does go on. One fine example was that absolutely ridiculous pretend search for a temporary replacement for Scott Hahn when he resigned unexpectedly in early 2018. Julie-Anne Herteis was decided upon privately and then Council went through the ridiculous, deceptive and disgraceful game of having ten very qualified candidates jump through hoops and loops including a public speech to Council when they had already decided on the weakest but most pliable candidate in advance. They were confident that Julie-Anne would not rock the boat. Good God what a council. .............................................................................................................. I have wondered occasionally over the last several years if some of Woolwich's most stupid decisions have come back to haunt them. Certainly the attention of Kitchener-Waterloo's media has been on little Woolwich Township more since then. It is possible that the debates Monday at Woolwich Council including some internal acrimony really weren't all that newsworthy. I suspect that Councillor Merlihan is correct that a couple of Woolwich councillors are incapable of serious budget study due to either mental disinterest or in the other case too many responsibilities outside council activities. Rumours are that that would apply to councillors Martin and Redekop, the latter being fully engaged in honest, appropriate spiritual work outside his council duties. I also suspect that Monday's public conflict will calm down. It really doesn't look that good to the public even if some healthy debate is a good thing. The one quote from mayor Shantz actually put her in a positive light. Hmm I guess I have to live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment