Friday, October 8, 2010

CHEMTURA HAS LARGER CLEANUP EFFORT THAN EXPECTED

This is the front page title of today's (actually Oct 9/10) Woolwich Observer. This story actually completely covers the first two pages of the paper. For me I am glad to fianlly see confirmation of three facts which I had previously advised Elmira and Woolwich residents of. Firstly on October 2 here in the Advocate I advised residents that the plume had actually travelled 1.5 km from the Chemtura plant. This the Observer notes on page one. Secondly on page two the Observer advises us that the cause of the fugitive emissions was an over pressurized vessel that had a "built in relief device" (rupture disc), designed to allow these emissions to vent to the atmosphere to avoid destroyng the vessel. This I advised my readers about on September 29. Finally in a Letter to the Editer by Kari Raymer, the information in regards to EDSS football players being exposed to these fumes has been published in print. This fact I also advised Advocate readers of on September 29.

This I believe is the strength of multiple sources and multiple modes of communication. I still hope that any future discussion surrounding this event includes an improved technical method of avoiding dangerous explosions of pressure vessels while NOT releasing their contents to the natural environment for the "enjoyment" of the neighbours.

No comments:

Post a Comment