Tuesday, January 16, 2024

ELMIRA'S ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS EVENT

 I guess you could call it a public meeting. It could also be considered, in my opinion, an alternate reality from the sugar coated, everything's under control, good news scenario foisted upon the public by Lanxess Canada and the Ontario Ministry of Environment (MECP). Keep in mind it was only a few years back that the MECP flatly refused to post any warning signs against eating fish caught in the Canagagigue Creek despite multiple contaminants in the fish exceeding the formal Tissue Residue Guidelines (TRG).

Speakers include myself, Richard Clausi and Susan Bryant. I'm not thrilled in regards to the third one however I'm not in charge of the event, Sadi is . She is both the organizer and the brains behind the event. Richard is the Master of Ceremonies (MC) and he will give a brief history plus a few slides as well as introduce the speakers. There will also be a question and answer period after the speakers that Richard will facilitate. 

Oh and obviously Rural Roots, the venue, will be selling beer and food. I understand that there will be a tent with heaters so I would suggest dressing warmly and if it's warm enough divesting coats etc. as the tent heats up. 

My understanding is that Susan wishes to focus on the Risk Assessment of the downstream Canagagigue Creek . I on the other hand will discuss the Creek, the groundwater underneath Elmira, and the former Uniroyal Chemical site itself today. I expect both lollypop questions as well as perhaps a few hardball questions. I expect that the vast majority of attendees will learn a lot and leave very satisfied with a much greater understanding of both the good and the bad surrounding the 1989 Elmira Water Crisis and where we stand today.   

No comments:

Post a Comment