Wednesday, April 29, 2020

CAPITOL PAVING & THE AGGREGATE INDUSTRY



I am aware of three victories of citizens over the aggregate industry and their lobbyists, influence, and connections in high places. I believe that the first was several years ago in Puslinch, followed by the unsuccessful Hunder Pit between Winterbourne and Conestogo and finally the proposed West Montrose Pit which Tony Dowling and Bridgekeepers rebuffed. So as not to demonize all aggregate companies and or proponents of these pits I will say that I did see and hear first hand the opinions and positions from Mr. Honsberger (proponent) of the proposed Hunder Pit at the OMB (Ontario Municipal Board) hearing held in Woolwich Council Chambers several years back. I found him to be an honest and straightforward gentleman.

Today's Waterloo Region Record carries the following article titled "Opponents of proposed gravel pit digging in". Former Woolwich Councillor Bonnie Bryant and others are quoted in this article both for and against the proposed gravel pit. I believe that their positions are both reasonable and sound. The pit in my opinion is to be located far too close to the village of Maryhill, its homes and businesses. I also need to comment regarding Ms. Bryant. She was in my opinion by far the most honest and smartest councillor during her term on the Todd Cowan council. That said I did personally like Al Poffenroth for a number of reasons although I suspect that his talents and abilities may have been past their "best before" date.

The only advice I might have for Ms Bryant and her neighbours is to contact Tony Dowling (Bridgekeepers & Gravel Watch Ontario) as well as Della Stroboscher (Conestogo), Jan Huisson and Gord Haywood for advice in their upcoming battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment