Monday, June 20, 2011

GIANT HOGWEED IS THRIVING IN WATERLOO REGION

Today's K-W Record again informs us that eradication efforts are falling behind. Apparently the most common method of removal is via digging them up and or removing the flowers so the seeds can't spread. As recently as yesterday while out walking on the Kissing Bridge Trail in Elmira with my family for Father's Day, we spotted an unusual looking plant. While only about four feet tall it had an incredibly thick and sturdy looking stalk. I figure this was probably Giant Hogweed. Most importantly is Do Not Touch. The sap is caustic and can cusae severe burns. It also makes your skin extremely sensitive to sunlight. Last summer I wore a beard because my face had suddenly become very sensitive to sunlight and I suspect that either directly or indirectly via the family dog I had come in contact with this plant. Well this summer while not as bad, my face seems itchy whenever I'm in the sun. Hard to be sure though.

No comments:

Post a Comment