Monday, June 27, 2011

CURRENT WOOLWICH ENVIRONMENTAL EVENTS

This morning I've been invited to a discussion with the Township of Woolwich Planning Department in regards to the proposed Safety-Kleen expansion. This was part of the agreement around my settling my referral to the O.M.B. over this matter. To date I've been very pleased with the cooperation and willingness I've seen from Township Staff. These discussions concern a zoning change and site plans. My concerns are in conjunction with building upon heavily contaminated lands that should have been remediated properly decades ago.

Tomorrow night I am a registered delegate at the Woolwich Council meeting (7 pm.). I will be addressing Council on at least one issue possibly two, namely CPAC's involvement with Chemtura's reverification under the "Responsible Care" program of the Chemical Industry Association. This program while promoting a more responsible attitude by chemical companies at the same time has become a rubber stamp here in Elmira for Chemtura. This company's behaviour including the air release of BLE-25 last fall and their ongoing refusals to to do source removal of dioxins etc. is a clear indication of their lack of responsibility locally. Should either CPAC or Woolwich Township, in any manner whatsoever, reward bad behaviour by allowing this "Responsible Care" designation without a fight or at the least a public declaration that they do not approve it?

No comments:

Post a Comment