Wednesday, September 1, 2010

AGENT ORANGE & DIABETES & E.D.

The following article was in yesterday's K-W Record , yet I can't find it in their on line version. Page A8: "Diabetes now top disability for veterans of Vietnam War." Agent Orange was of course manufactured both in the U. S. as well as right here in Elmira at Uniroyal. The toxic ingredient which did all the human damage was Dioxin ie. tetrachlorodibenzodioxin (TCDD). What I didn't know were the links to Diabetes in particular and to a much lesser extent erectile disfunction, heart disease, Parkinson's and leukemia.The Dioxin was in fact an unintended contaminant within the Chlorophenols that were used in the manufacture of 2,4 D and 2,4,5 T.

3 comments:

  1. Allan, I read a book by an ex MP or MPP by the name of John Bryden called Deadly Allies which mentions agent orange and where it was manufactured and why and the testing used. I do believe but could be wrong but I think it mentions Elmira. I have a copy hear, somewhere and it was a good read. If you can find it I reccommend it. Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks I'll take a look in our local library which at one time housed all the Uniroyal files and reports.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2,4,5-T is the half of Agent Orange that produced TCDD as a by-product. 2,4-D (also made in Elmira and widely used on its lawns in the late 1940s) apparently does not, so its negative effects are less clear. However, has TCDD been tested for in the Elmira area, in the same way that NDMA was starting in 1989? Has anyone looked up the rates of diabetes and other suspected diseases related to these things in people from this area (I have type 2 diabetes, but there's also a lot of cancer, Parkinson', etc. around). See http://curezone.com/forums/description.asp?f=872. Also, does the Elmira public library have a copy of the Uniroyal-related research files (which I believe they also have at WLU)? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete