Tuesday, November 21, 2023

TOMORROW IS GROUNDWATER TUTORIAL DAY FOR THREE WOOLWICH COUNCILLORS

 Oddly two councillors did not respond at all to the invite. The third, mayor Sandy Shantz also did not, but that was less of a surprise to me. I am curious regarding Bonnie Bryant and Evan Burgess's reason(s) for not responding.

The three attendees are councillors Grant (Kayla), Schwindt (Eric) and Cadeau (Nathan). All three seem keen and eager and that's all that is necessary to spark perhaps a long term interest in groundwater in general and Elmira's groundwater in particular. I will be providing multiple relevant photos, maps and drawings to each of the three councillors both for use tomorrow and for them to keep as references down the road. My goal is to get them started to be able to ask intelligent and indeed probing questions of Lanxess, MECP, and consultants such as GHD and Stantec.

Although my focus is a better understanding for councillors of the groundwater literally beneath their feet I will also be attempting to show a number of inconsistencies within some of the maps/drawings and claims of various consultants. This is not necessarily to try and prove subterfuge or dishonesty but to indicate that much of the science of hydrogeology can be interpreted subjectively. I feel that hydrogeology is both an art and a science. Hence some of these inconsistencies are the results of new data and more time having passed leading to somewhat different conclusions.

I admit that I may have judged a couple of councillors too harshly early on when they sent me e-mail answers to my complaints about the shallow aquifer (UA) pumping system failures. Their written answers frankly were poor and I thought that those poor answers were intentional. I have since come to understand that whatever strengths and experience they have, hydrogeology was not part of it. Hence my offer of a groundwater tutorial and their agreement to it. Tomorrow should be a win-win.    

No comments:

Post a Comment