Wednesday, November 8, 2023

POSITIVE VERSUS NEGATIVE (CRITICAL) : A NICE CHANGE OF PACE

 When dealing with decades long, entrenched corruption of the corporate polluter and Ministry of Environment style it becomes easy to be disillusioned and skeptical. When one joins an environmental group it does elevate one's hopes and aspirations for environmental improvement. It also reinforces the fact that most people are good at heart despite the appearance that so many politicians are not. I think what has been most shocking to my system is the extremely bad behaviour, thank goodness of only a few citizens who surreptitiously have advanced their own position at the cost of both their friends and colleagues as well as that of the public interest. That such perfidy existed I originally did not know. 

Currently I am attempting to arrange a groundwater tutorial with the mostly new Woolwich Council. Within a mere 48 hours I have had positive responses from half (3) of them so far. I view that as an excellent start and certainly hope for more. I expect that this time we will be able to come up with a time that suits more folks.

I will admit that I am looking forward to assisting these new councillors to get a better handle on proposals or ideas brought to them through their Council duties. It has long been my opinion that there has been a one sided voice speaking to municipal councillors regarding the Elmira Water Crisis and all the ensuing plans whether for groundwater cleanup or downstream Creek cleanup. I believe that if councillors can get a better handle on the basics of groundwater, contamination, remediation etc. that they eventually will make better decisions in the public interest. This could be through better knowledge and understanding or even simply greater skepticism as they ask more and harder questions when Lanxess, GHD and the MECP plans are presented to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment