Saturday, July 22, 2023

A WEEK AND NOT EVEN AN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF THE QUESTIONS POSED TO THE REGION & MECP

 So I sent a second e-mail today to two folks at the Region (Boris & Jenn) as well as two at the Ministry (i.e. MECP-Jason & Lubna). Basically I was reminding them of three or four questions that CPAC members have in regards to the alleged benzene contamination in the soil nearby the alleged old, buried coal tar pavement. I even went so far as to ask whether the Region had actually confirmed via testing or however that it was indeed coal tar pavement that they dug up. Also I strongly hinted that the Region's assumption that benzene in nearby soils came from the alleged coal tar paving was pretty nervy considering the long history of benzene handling and mishandling at the Uniroyal Chemical site. Following that I listed a number of benzene compounds and their use in aniline production as well as waste disposal locations on the Uniroyal site.

I also advised both parties that the Woolwich Observer had published a good story on Thursday and that I was then interviewed by their reporter after the first story was published. Perhaps to help keep the Observer keen on the story I included two of their names in the list that the Region and MECP should be responding to. It is always shocking to me how government bureaucracies and bodies feel that taxpayer funded reports etc. should be kept secret from not only the general public but even from local stakeholders.

No comments:

Post a Comment