Friday, June 7, 2019

A NEW STORM WATER POND DISCHARGING INTO THE WOOLWICH RESERVOIR?



To date I and some friends have examined some earthworks visible from the Lions Trail going up the east side of the Woolwich Reservoir. We've also talked to a few fellow walkers and the comments have ranged from the ho hum not a big deal to outrage as to what appears to be damage to both the trail and to the water quality in at least the closest area of the reservoir. I did send two e-mails off a week ago and to date have only received an answer from the Grand River Conservation Authority (GRCA). The Ministry of Environment (MOE) rep (Kevin Knoll) sent me an e-mail advising that he was no longer the MOE rep for Wellesley and Woolwich and giving the name of the new rep.

Now Mr. Knoll did not advise whether or not he had sent my information request along to his replacement so I waited several days to see if she responded to me. She did not so I sent her an e-mail earlier this morning. The GRCA rep did advise me that the Floradale Feed Mill are constructing a stormwater management facility and outlet and that they had a permit from the GRCA. Well on the face of it that certainly seems plausible. That said I would like to see confirmation from the MOE as I do have a couple of questions. The first one is in regards to the outlet. At the moment it appears that the storm water will be flowing directly over the bank (and the trail) and dropping into the reservoir from several feet up. I assume that instead of that they will put a below grade outlet pipe of some sort simply to avoid the otherwise inevitable erosion. Nevertheless it would be nice to know that for sure prior to discharges actually happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment