Friday, January 18, 2019

NEXT THURSDAY'S TAG MEETING



Over pizza and beer last evening a half dozen of us debated the merits of attempting to communicate a difficult and complicated environmental position incorporating topography, hydrology, hydrogeology, sub-surface construction works, map reading and persistent organic pollutants. The environmental position is in regards to the Stroh property on Lanxess's east side primarily although it includes the Martin property to the south as well. The problem of course is that figuratively speaking I will have both hands tied behind my back as well as duct tape over my mouth while attempting to communicate these issues. That is directly due to Sandy Shantz and her perverted version of public consultation. Sure she's been lied to by that pair on TAG but she'a attended CPAC in the past and RAC and TAG often enough to know that what she has done for the MOE and Chemtura/Lanxess is counter-productive. It merely reinforces the understanding that they are corrupt, self-serving bodies.

Can you imagine my surprise when Lanxess have written me suggesting that if the stilted TAG process next Thursday January 24, 6:30 pm. in Council Chambers makes dialogue between us impossible then we will meet immediately after the meeting and talk directly. Keep in mind that it was the TAG Chair who asked me to provide input on this matter because it was myself, CPAC and a professional consultant four years ago who raised this issue in the first place. This dialogue will include myself and Sebastian and as well Dr. Holt and one or two other CPAC members will be present. I have responded in writing to Lanxess and agreed to this if TAG can not see their way to discussing the matter in an honest and forthright manner. That Lanxess are willing to do this speaks well of them. If TAG under the direct control of Sandy Shantz choose not to then it's all on her.

I have been asked to provide in advance all the data, evidence, maps etc. to TAG so that I may sit quietly in the gallery and admire the efforts of TAG members as they most likely are overwhelmed by the efforts of the former Conestoga Rovers now known as GHD. I have promised a written response to TAG's detailed requests by today and will do so. Most of the TAG members plus Chair have my respect and admiration for the difficult job they are doing but they too are ill served by the reactive and angry conditions put on them by petty politicians in response to legitimate citizen criticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment