Friday, August 25, 2017

MEDIA DECLINE AFFECTS US ALL



Ahh Woodward & Bernstein. The epitome of investigative journalism. The Pentagon Papers, Wikileaks, Snowden and U.S. spying on civilians, Manning and more. Unfortunately the reality is that what we used to come to expect from our newspapers is no more. They are dying of financial malnutrition. Now they can not afford to alienate government, big business, unions or anyone with power and money. They also are suffering from libel chill. Most newspaper stories nowadays are "balanced". Give each side of the story and then move on. Don't spend time or effort digging for the truth. Heaven forbid if you find that one side of the story have been out and out lying to you and that the newspaper should loudly out the untruthful party unless of course they are not influential nor powerful.

Exceptions still occur. Do you recall that recent huge local story involving Kelly Donovan (Fit4Duty) and the Waterloo Regional Police? Or how about that class action suit by female police officers against our very own Waterloo Regional Police? How much followup on those two huge stories have you seen? These are two stories challenging the honesty, decency, credibility and ethics of our local police administration right here in Waterloo Region. They are also challenging the old boys network around our civilian Police Board and appointments by our Regional politicians to it. And what are we getting for clarification or updates? Bupkus!

Over 23 hours ago I left two telephone messages to the Woolwich Observer here in Elmira, Ontario. One to Editor Steve Kannon whom I admire tremendously and one to Joe Merlihan whom I used to admire tremendously. I advised them that I had just found out that they had not received a copy of ten Conestoga Rovers Reports on the Bolender Landfill methane problems that I thought they had received. Therefore I offered them the opportunity to borrow my reports (briefly & with me present) in order for them to make their own copies on their photocopier. All I needed was a phone call advising me when to bring the reports in.

To date still nothing. The real concern is that I am not surprised by that. I should be appalled and shocked but am not (shocked that is). I do know that the Observer have been chewed out by a Woolwich business person over their inaccurate coverage of the Bolender Park Landfill matters back on August 3/17. The Observer swallowed and published Woolwich's inaccurate comment that elevated methane levels do not extend to nearby residents. The Observer have not issued any corrections or followup story including yesterday's Observer's non coverage of my Delegation to Woolwich Council three days ago.

In regards to the Township's apparently ridiculous position regarding methane problems around the perimeter of the Landfill let me add this. If they either publicly or privately (to me) explained their position or provided facts to back up their position I would be able to judge whether they had any basis whatsoever for their bald faced denials. They have not and have refused to do so despite my asking for a meeting with them.

Getting back to our only, truly local coverage I feel sorry for whatever the Observer's predicament is. I feel sorrier however for Woolwich residents' loss of accurate newspaper coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment