Friday, July 29, 2016

A HILARIOUS CARTOON & A SOLID EDITORIAL



O.K. so I'm fair game for the Observer's cartoonist (Scott? Arnold). Afterall if you speak in public whether at a Council meeting or other public meeting you open yourself to public scrutiny including the media. That said there can be vicious, false comments and criticism or there can be thoughtful, accurate comment. Perhaps the usual media comment falls somewhere in the middle. That said I have to admit that I'm still laughing at yesterday's cartoon about myself. The thought of me collecting stamps is just about as likely as me cave diving or rock climbing. Just not me folks.

While I may disagree with Steve Kannon's final conclusion in his Editorial I am nevertheless pleased with his presentation of facts as well as his solid support for citizens taking action against false and inaccurate Financial Statements. Lest we forget all Woolwich Council members swore an oath that their Financial Statements were accurate and honest. The one exception to that was Councillor Bauman who with Woolwich Township explicit approval, illegally didn't file at all. The rest all did and only three of them it turns out did so fairly and properly. Yes I would agree with Steve Kannon that that set up a rather embarassing spectacle here in Woolwich Township.

For me the most important fact regarding Scott Hahn is the Forensic Auditor's report done by Froese Forensic Partners. While mayor Shantz did indeed pay for her own "audit" it was not a Forensic Audit. The difference in detail, depth and investigation is reflected in the $12,000 cost of the Forensic Audit versus approximately $1,000 for the private audit. I have read numerous other private audits from councillors in Waterloo Region and frankly they are just shy of a joke. They rely entirely on the numbers provided by the candidate and simply are to satisfy the weak legislation.

Steve Kannon corectly stated that the auditor's report (ie. Forensic Audit) "cast considerable doubt on amended filings". Wait a minute. Scott's original filing claimed $328 expenses and his amended filing $3,200 and the Forensic Audit has cast doubt even on that! What is going on with his amended Financial Statement? That is precisely why MECAC (Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee) absolutely were required to send Scott's case on to the prosecuter. MECAC utterly failed in their duty. I am attempting to do their job for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment