Tuesday, March 18, 2014

WOOLWICH COUNCIL ADVISED THAT ONLY MINOR COMPLIANCE ISSUES WITH DRINKING WATER



Last Saturday's Woolwich Observer carrys this story namely: "Few issues with Woolwich water, report finds". I was shocked and disgusted with the title and more so when I read the story. After I calmed down and reread the story several times I decided to try and match the claims in the story with the raw data. This proved impossible as my raw data simply didn't match the claimed "occurrences" for Elmira/St.Jacobs, Heidelberg, Maryhill, Conestogo and West Montrose. At that point having reread my Drinking Water Reports for these Woolwich communities, produced by the Region of Waterloo; I got smart. I went on-line to Woolwich Township's website and found the Engineering Report that was handed out to the Councillors. Ahh now I see! Pages two and three indeed have a Table which compares 2013 results with 2012 results, sort of. Indeed these two pages clearly are the source of data which Steve Kannon of the Observer used for his story. Things match.

The problem is this however. The Woolwich Engineering Report has the 2013/2012 data for microbiological (bacteria) issues at the start. Much later on in their Report they have the same data I had regarding information specific to the multiple Woolwich systems. These more comprehensive Drinking Water Reports include information on Inorganics such as Sodium, Nitrites and Nitrates, metals and organic chemicals. They also include products of disinfection such as THMs (trihalomethanes) and Chloramines as well as organic industrial and agricultural manmade chemicals. What is not included in any of the Region of Waterloo Drinking Water Reports are literally hundreds of other industrial chemicals as well as common everyday chemicals courtesy of leaking gas stations. Also missing are pharmaceuticals and personal care chemicals.

I have addressed these Woolwich communities drinking water recently here in the Advocate. Upon rereading my postings and further research I can see that I have somewhat understated the health issues and problems arising from the drinking water in a number of Woolwich communities. This upon request I will be addressing as a Delegate to an upcoming Woolwich Council meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment