Wednesday, June 6, 2012

REWRITING HISTORY



This is exactly why I've decided not to retire from the Uniroyal/Chemtura file just yet. A little over a year ago, Gail Martin of the Independent wrote a story about the new Chemtura Public Advisory Committee (CPAC). In her story she indicated that there was a major loss of knowledge and history with none of the former (old) CPAC being appointed to the new. Although she was correct to a certain point I personally thought to myself; what am I , chopped liver? The reality is, all things being equal, it's always better to have more volunteers and more memories than fewer. In this case however it isn't. The old CPAC, just like myself, had a decision to make. They could have swallowed their wounded egos, decided that the Elmira cleanup was paramount, been helpful and assisted the new CPAC. They were sincerely invited and asked for their input but they chose instead to be rude and personally ignorant to the new CPAC. They burned those bridges that were extended, I grant you not by the Mayor, but by the other new CPAC members. Even after the Mayor is off of CPAC they choose not to assist. Yours truly has gone in the exact opposite direction.

Therefore when I see Chemtura attempting to rewrite the facts around the destruction of the Elmira Aquifers, I rise to the occasion. I am currently researching old technical reports and making a list of the myriad of industrial chemicals and solvents which Chemtura (& others) have added to our groundwater. Jeff Merriman of Chemtura along with Josef (General Manager) are trying to sell the off-site aquifers as only having NDMA, Chlorobenzene and Ammonia in them. This claim is way beyond rubbish. When completed shortly I will be sending my lists and references on to CPAC. They are doing a great job but no they don't have the knowledge of what has gone on for over twenty years. They have neither the politics nor the technical history. I do and I have been sharing it with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment