Wednesday, March 28, 2012

LAST NIGHT'S COUNCIL MEETING - BIO FUEL & CHEMTURA



Woolwich Mayor Todd Cowan claimed last evening at the start of the Woolwich Council meeting that he was "shocked" that the Ministry of the Environment (M.O.E.) had approved the Elmira location for Woolwich Bio-En. I was not shocked and I don't have the in with the provincial government that Mayor Cowan claims to have. Our Mayor also suggested that all signs and indications over the past year had been positive from the M.O.E.. Really? Are you suggesting duplicity Mayor Cowan on the part of the M.O.E.? Now I am really shocked. Haven't you been listening to what I've been telling you for nearly two years? Well before the election you came to me for advice regarding Chemtura and the M.O.E. and I told you that the M.O.E. were in bed together with polluters and industry. Honest citizens rights and health were of little consequence to them.

Despite my skepticism I did sincerely thank Woolwich Council at the start of my presentation for their stated interest in pursuing an appeal of the M.O.E.'s Decision. Council want a legal opinion as to whether they have any grounds to sucessfully launch an appeal with the Environmental Review Tribunal (ERT). Let me be the first to say this. There are a number of different members just as with their predecessor the Environmental Appeal Board (EAB). Some are good, qualified and unbiased persons. Others are unqualified toadies who do as they are told. The question is who will be doing the assigning and what are the politics behind the big picture regarding renewable energy in Ontario. From my strong opinion here yes you can believe that I have attended and been involved in several of these appeals and have seen excellent to horrible Boards and Tribunals.

In regards to Chemtura I primarily spoke about the October 7, 1991 "sweetheart deal". That document as I advised Council last evening has been referred to CPAC as a gamechanger by two environmental professionals. The M.O.E. and their partner in pollution Chemtura, have said otherwise in the Woolwich Observer. Oh what a surprise! Kudos to Councillor Bauman for releasing a letter to CPAC which indicates that two polluters (Nutrite & Chemtura), three governments (municipal, regional & provincial) and one private individual all received copies of the Settlement Agreement (sweetheart deal) twenty-one years ago. Despite tiny leaks and dribbles all six parties to the 1990/91 Environmental Appeal Board hearings kept silent about the Indemnity given to Uniroyal by the Ontario M.O.E.. Shame on the lot of them!

1 comment:

  1. Todd Cowan's chance to kill the BioEn plant has come and gone. He is going to appeal it now. Seriously? Give me a break. He mislead us just to get elected. Thanks Todd. What a joke.

    ReplyDelete