Thursday, May 8, 2014

FOOD, WATER, AIR & HAIR PRODUCTS AS WELL



I downloaded this article from on-line written by Aly Walonsky/Beauty High. The title is "The ingredients you probably didn't realize are in your hair products". It is downright scary and for me further indicates the vast underestimation of human exposures to toxic chemicals. I know how much chemical crap is in our drinking water. I'm learning a little bit about what's in our food and I've long known how badly contaminated our air is. Pharmaceuticals of course are another major route of exposure to chemicals, but hair products. Wow!

Sodium Laurel Sulfate: SLS is what causes the foaming lather in many shampoos. SLS is a surfactant, emulisifier and a harsh detergent added to shampoos, hair dyes, makeup, toothpaste, mouth wash, hand soaps and laundry detergents. One unwanted product within it is 1,4 dioxane a suspected carcinogen currently being treated for and hopefully removed from the Greenbrook Wellfield in Kitchener.

Polyethylene Glycol(PEG): It is very hard on the hair and I think it's the same stuff as your car radiator antifreeze.

Mineral Oil: Yes it's produced from petrochemicals just like your car engine oil.

Diethanolamine (DEA) or Triethanolamine (TEA): They can cause scalp irritation and bad allergic reactions in some people.

Methylparaben and Propylparaben: These are skin irritants and can affect hormonal balance. They are used to prolong the shelf life of the product.

Formaldehyde; It's in some hair shampoos and is a carcinogen.

Alcohol: Again in some shampoos it is in excessive amounts and can dry out your hair.

Unfortunately it's all up to the consumer to read the labels and comparison shop. This article doesn't tell you which shampoos are the best or which the worst.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alan,

    My name is Tyson Lautenschlager. I'm sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you could send me an email (tysonlaut23@gmail.com) with an email for Rich Clausi. He is a former teacher of mine and I was hoping to get in touch with him for an interview with the Elmira Independent regarding EDSS' 75th Reunion. I have no contact info for him and I noticed through your blog that you likely would.

    Again if you can email me at tysonlaut23@gmail.com, I would really appreciate the help.

    Thanks so much, Tyson

    ReplyDelete