Wednesday, March 20, 2013

2012 ANNUAL MONITORING REPORT IS OUT



This Chemtura annual report use to consist of three volumes namely text, figures and tables and thirdly appendices. It is now down to two volumes and has considerably less information included. I received my two volumes yesterday in the mail and to date have spent but an hour looking it over. Here's what I've found within the first hour. The second page is the distribution list and it has three errors in it. Two former CPAC members are listed as current CPAC members incorrectly. One current CPAC member resigned only a few weeks back so that error is hardly a major one.

The parameter list has been whittled down ridiculously over the years to NDMA, Chlorobenzene and Ammonia. As minimal as that is I've just gone through the figures section and lo and behold there are lots of figures with NDMA and Chlorobenzene groundwater concentrations but what happened to Ammonia? I'm still looking for Ammonia data and its' absence is disconcerting. Table 2.3 , page 1 of 2 relates to Sentry Wells and has concentrations over time of chlorobenzene. The same table but page 2 of 2 also is concentrations over time of chlorobenzene. The dates and wells are the same but the concentrations are dramatically different. My guess would be that page 2 of 2 is supposed to be titled NDMA, not chlorobenzene.

Table 6.3 also has me somewhat confused. It is labelled as LNAPL thickness in Upper Aquifer Containment System Monitoring Wells. So far so good. Then it lists three wells namely OW80, OW115 and OW148 with the thickness of light non aqueous phase liquid (LNAPL) floating in them. Well to my knowledge none of those three wells are UACTS monitoring wells. It is entirely possible that they have LNAPL in them but the title of the Table is confusing.

These discoveries are after only an hour into this report. I will be spending considerably more time and will report back further information, anomolies etc. as I find them.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Alan, I have an observation that I am not sure I want to say in the blogger comments unless you moderate them and wish to check it out yourself (it may or may not matter)

    If you have comment moderation enabled, I will notice this message did not post and will follow up. If not, please enable it on this thread, comment back, and I will contact you here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just noticed this comment now. I would suggest you comment on a more recent posting and if you're worried about anonymity then just comment as anonymous.

    ReplyDelete