Wednesday, December 8, 2010

WIND FARMS

Overall this topic has caught me off guard. What at first blush should be a low to no impact green method of renewable energy, apparently is no such thing. Today's Elmira Independent has a story on page 6 about protests and demonstrations in nearby Drayton against wind turbines. . Two statements in the story have really given me concerns. The one is that Direct Current (DC) being converted to Alternating Current (AC) results in "harmonic issues that can affect people and animals". This is way out of my area of expertise but at first blush this sounds a little out there. I wish that a more detailed explanation had been given about that. Secondly "...sound from the wind turbines will travel through walls, up to 3 km, and low frequency noise can cause depression and anxiety". O.K. going way back to my high school physics classes I can follow that sound waves do indeed travel but I had no idea they could travel 3 km and then go through walls. It now seems reasonable to me that health studies on these issues should be done BEFORE the wind turbines are up and running.

2 comments:

  1. You can check out the Cambridge citizen, they ran a story on the Meaford area Wind farm debate and got more than a few replys about it.
    http://cambridgecitizen.ca/?p=1117

    ReplyDelete