Thursday, September 11, 2014

TWO CURRENT ISSUES IN ELMIRA



To date the fall from grace of Mayor Cowan has not brought forth public shouts of glee. There have been some private ones I am aware of only. I will predict the following shouts of glee, possibly or not restrained, but glee nevertheless. Mayor Cowan has been the first and only mayor to step up and say that the status quo regarding the cleanup of Elmira's drinking water is not adequate. Hence I expect some shouting from Chemtura whose credibility has been badly hurt by the Mayor and Council's ongoing support for the efforts of the Chemtura Public Advisory Committee.

The second issue is the forthcoming book about the Elmira water crisis written by former K-W Record reporter Bob Burtt. I reported here back on June 6 of this year in regards to data I had been sending Bob; both regarding Varnicolor Chemical and Uniroyal Chemical (Chemtura). Bob covered the Elmira/Uniroyal issues I believe from 1989 until his retirement in 2004. His articles and stories were accurate and comprehensive. I was a little disappointed that he didn't attend at least some of the public CPAC meetings of the last decade. It would have given him a firsthand look into the difference between the current CPAC and the old ones. Bob's book I have been advised by an e-mail from him is being released on September 26/14 with a book release and launch at the Holiday Inn in Cambridge.

Best of luck to Bob and I eagerly await the opportunity to read his book. After reading it carefully I will of course comment here.

No comments:

Post a Comment