Friday, April 25, 2014

*RESPONSIBLE CARE ETHICS & CHEMTURA CANADA



That title above is a joke. The words simply don't belong together. By the way it's not that I'm particularily sold on *Responsible Care however my colleague claims that it is working well at Canada Colours (Sulco) here in Elmira, Ontario. Let's count the lack of ethics from this bunch just recently. One I e-mailed some questions regarding the upper aquifer containment & treatment system to Jeff Merriman of Chemtura last February. No response so I e-mailed a second time. I received a "I'll do it as soon as possible" reponse. Still no go. Last evening before CPAC started I again reminded him. Oh he's been busy he'll get back to me. Two since January I've been politely asking either Chemtura or the Ministry of the Environment to send me a copy of two letters written in May 2008 from Jaimie Connoly and Wilf Ruland. Both these bodies have been using these letters as backups to their claims that these two hydrogeologists have recanted their opinions that free phase DNAPL has flowed from Chemtura over to Yara (Nutrite). This is a big deal but they won't provide backup although last evening they did finally promise to provide the letter from Wilf as CPAC & SWAT have finally been given Jaimie's letter. Third has to do with Chemtura's longtime consultants. Years ago I awarded Conestoga Rovers the MACHO Award. This is a wooden statuette engraved as the Brian Beatty Memorial Award for Creative HydrOgeology. Mr. Beatty is a former hydrogeologist who worked on behalf of Uniroyal Chemical. Well last evening they outdid themselves as per my earlier posting of today. Creative hydrogeology is a beautiful thing if your goal is to deceive.

Back to Jaimie Connolly's letter. Jaimie's May 2, 2008 letter recants his position on DNAPL flowing from Chemtura to Yara and oh so much more. This is why they wouldn't provide it. Jaimie categorically states that source reduction of contaminants is required on the Chemtura site. This is a hand grenade to CRA, Chemtura and the M.O.E. and a major boost to CPAC's 2012 Resolution. Well done Jaimie. Jaimie then goes on and advises that Conestoga Rovers (CRA) messed up their calculations of Effective Solubility in their August 2007 DNAPL Investigation Report. Finally Jaimie advises (as Ron Campbell of CPAC has) that DNAPL chemicals under the influence of hydraulic containment; whose dissolved concentration is not being further reduced; probably are present as a non aqueous phase liquid (NAPL). In a court of law they refer to the exchange of documents as Discovery. Apparently with a convicted polluter of questionable ethics it is to be avoided wherever possible.

Last evening at the public CPAC meeting I as usual was a Delegate. I congratulated CPAC about their class and integrity. I also congratulated Steve Martindale (M.O.E.) for his breathtaking sincerity and honesty. I praised Jaimie Connolly (M.O.E.) for most of his May 2, 2008 letter. I criticized the former Chair of CPAC for ensuring that the by far best informed citizen stakeholder on DNAPL issues did not receive Jaimie's letter back in 2008. I strongly criticized Figure 4.10 in CRA's 2013 Annual Monitoring Report. All the CPAC members present contributed heavily throughout the evening and I hope to elaborate further, possibly tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment