Saturday, January 11, 2014

HEIDELBERG GAS STATION CLEANUP CONTINUES



I posted here in the Elmira Advocate some concerning news way back on July 31, 2012 . I had been examining via the Region of Waterloo website plus other documents the distribution and source water systems for Heidelberg Ontario. Heidelberg is indeed part of Woolwich Township whereas their neighbour St. Clements are part of Wellesley. My concerns were raised both from verbal information I had received as well as by a site visit I made to the former gas station located on the main intersection of Heidelberg.

Well today I received more information which confirms that which I had suspected from my site visit. The original leakage was bad enough that there was and is free product gas and or diesel fuel floating on the surface of the water table. While this may not be an extraordinary situation for a former gas station; my concern is for both the local drinking wells as well as for possible vapour intrusion into homes literally located just across the street from the station. After all these years I sincerely hope that the Region of Waterloo have found an alternate source of drinking water as any in town wells probably aren't that far away. Secondly while I had to doublecheck my data it does appear that gas and diesel components are indeed volatile and hence could volatolize into a gas. Particularily benzene, similar to past issues in Bamberg Ontario, would be a concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment