Friday, February 26, 2016

LET'S CLEAR UP A FEW THINGS REGARDING THE MAYOR'S ELECTION FINANCE WOES



Firstly I'm going to include a link to yesterday's Waterloo Region Record story titled "Elections Act allegations against Woolwich mayor still not resolved". While I am disappointed in a number of factual errors in this story nevertheless Paige Desmond overall is a good reporter who is human. The title I'm O.K. with but as mentioned yesterday the very first sentence in the story is flat wrong. Secondly what both I and apparently the reporter for the Woolwich Observer heard was that the Crown had indeed determined that it is in the public interest for them to investigate and determine whether prosecution is viable. In other words this is what I referred to yesterday as a reasonable prospect of obtaining convictions upon a number of the charges already laid by me through a Justice of the Peace.

Regarding my accepting the outcome if the Crown don't proceed, to a certain extent that is obvious. I have no power or authority over the Crown Prosecuters. They will do what they will do and I will "accept" it however that doesn't mean that if there are any other doors available to bring accountability with the law to Woolwich politicians that I won't pursue them. At this point I'm simply along for the ride and maintaining my confidence in the system.

I am very pleased that Ms. Desmond has again clearly indicated that mayor Shantz has acknowledged three separate contraventions of the Municipal Elections Act. I believe there are substantially more and have provided that evidence to the prosecuters. It will be up to them and the courts to make the final decisions and mayor Shantz will certainly have every legal opportunity to defend and dispute any and all evidence presented.

Lastly Ms. Desmond has also repeatedly stated that my complaints "are in part motivated by concerns about the mayor's involvement on a now-defunct citizen committee that was charged with overseeing the cleanup of polluted groundwater in Elmira.". That "defunct" committee is NOT defunct. CPAC lives albeit as the Citizens Public Advisory Committee not as the former name of Chemtura Public Advisory Committee and yes I am but one of many members. Also the impression may possibly be given in the story and the repeated use of this quote from story to story that I am repeating this alleged comment each and every time. That is not correct. On one occasion many months ago Paige specifically asked me whether or not my battle with the mayor over her nasty and dishonest attack upon CPAC had any bearing upon my attempts to make her accountable under the law for her multiple contraventions of the Municipal Elections Act (MEA). I stated that while the mayor needed to take ownership and responsibility for her Election Act contraventions and that both democracy and the public interest demanded it, nevertheless I could hardly claim to be operating in a vacuum. Of course while pursuing these Election Act issues I had to be aware in the back of my mind that the mayor had behaved very badly by abusing her position as mayor to attack Woolwich citizens and volunteers on CPAC. From this I believe that Paige has suggested that my complaints "are in part motivated by concerns...". Maybe her interpretation is correct and maybe it's slightly overstated. You folks decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment