Wednesday, February 24, 2016

ELECTION EXPENSES IN COURT YET AGAIN TODAY



This morning at 9 am. in Provincial Court, 77 Queen St. Kitchener we will get a taste of what the outside, independent prosecuter is all about. I had filed through a Justice of the Peace ten Municipal Election Act (1996) charges against mayor Sandy Shantz of Woolwich Township. Some of these charges are relatively minor ones dealing with undeclared expenses as well as undeclared Contributions (donations). Others are more serious including her failure to include an Audit by the March 27/15 deadline. This Audit is automatic when either the expenses or Contributions exceed $10,000. In her case they both so exceeded. Another what I would characterize as a medium contravention was the acceptance of a corporate donation in excess of $750. Finally to my mind the most serious charges relate to the possibility of her intentionally and knowingly filing an inaccurate Financial Statement by the March 27/15 deadline. If that charge is proven in court then the consequences are serious.

I received one sit down discussion with the previous local prosecuter. I have absolutely no complaints regarding him or his professionalism. The new prosecuter has not been in contact with me, either by phone, e-mail or any other way. As the complainant I had expected that he would be as part of his due diligence. I do expect however that a fairly serious quantity of documents and paperwork that I had provided the local prosecuter was sent on to the new one. I expect but do not know. Therefore as of now I am as in the dark as to this morning's proceedings as you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment