Thursday, February 12, 2015

TWO DISHONEST WOOLWICH COUNCILLORS ARE INFLUENCING THREE HONEST ONES



First off let me say that the third honest Councillor I am referring to is Larry Shantz. I need to clarify by stating that I assume people are honest until proven otherwise. I've met Larry on a couple of occasions and I would describe him as affable, sociable and pleasant. The fact is I don't know butkus about his honesty, backbone, intelligence etc..

Patrick Merlihan and Scott Hahn I believe are the other two honest individuals on Woolwich Council. I've talked to Scott on a few occasions and while once in writing he got his back up about my written comments he was straightforward and direct. Further discussions between us have been thought provoking and interesting. I have high hopes for his continued career in municipal politics provided he can stomache the lying and deceit that goes with it. My apologies to past Councillor Bonnie Bryant who I am about to quote. She advised me that in the last four years she had been lied to more than in her entire life. She did not elaborate as to whether the lying was from fellow councillors, staff or the public.

My opinion of Patrick is based upon knowing him most indirectly through the pages of the Woolwich Observer. Yes I have spoken to him also only on a couple of occasions but I must say that similar to Scott, as my Ward One Councillor, he is very approachable and we have communicated by e-mail. Patrick is a co-owner of the Woolwich Observer. On the negative side their lack of coverage of CPAC over the last decade has been a disservice to the residents of Woolwich. On the plus side they have an Editor (Steve Kannon) whom I view as truly extraordinary.

Hypocrisy abounds. I have been accused by truth challenged, axe grinding individuals of singlehandedly leading CPAC by the nose. This includes in a poorly written, rushed to print book, sardonically renamed "The Saga of Susan" by a well informed friend of mine. These lies in the book have included some by Bill Bardswick, the recently retired Director of the West Central Region of the Ontario Ministry of the Environment (M.O.E.).

Woolwich Mayors are full time and well paid to be so. Councillors on the other hand have outside jobs to support them as their Council jobs pay poorly and hence are by necessity part time. Being only part time, delegating of responsibilities is vital. Hence the ward system. Interesting that the biggest proponent of change for CPAC (other then Chemtura) is the Councillor for St. Jacobs, Mark Bauman. He is being listened to along with the Mayor because he has been a CPAC member for three years and has many terms of Council under his belt.

Bauman and Shantz are deceiving Council. They are providing inaccurate and false information regarding the Chemtura Public Advisory Committee (CPAC). Mark is definitely doing this intentionally in order to help Chemtura and the M.O.E. survive the shocking recent revelations of the MTE Consultants Report and the discovery of the Stroh Drain. Mark with full support and gratitude of Chemtura and their corrupt regulator (M.O.E.) is beginning the process of returning CPAC to its' former role as a concession granting cheerleader for them. Sandy has a magnificent future as a politician with the package she presents as a friendly, honest, pleasant but experienced at leadership, individual. That is the problem. I no longer believe that she is honest but naive. She knows exactly what she is doing and for whose benefit and it is not for the benefit of the public. It is specifically to assist Chemtura in their longterm goal of avoiding an expensive cleanup prior to their abandoning the Elmira site. Chemtura have a horrid environmental reputation south of the border (see yesterday's post) and have sucessfully stalled and delayed here for twenty-five years. Thank you very much Mark Bauman. You have been a significant part of that for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment